Wednesday, July 1, 2009

All Time Low - Nothing Personal Review


It could almost be described as the feel-good album of my summer, but living in Australia has its drawbacks - the onslaught of pop-punk albums are released during this time, and we have the benefit of enjoying it during the coldest time of the year. Its happened to me with Yellowcard, The Starting Line, and FM Static to name a few. Regardless, the way it makes me feel is no different from having that burning ball of gas shining through my window. And All Time Low's third studio album, Nothing Personal is definitely no exception.

Nothing Personal is an ama-za-zing album. From start to finish its a roller coaster of emotions - from the song meanings, to the melodies to the increasingly catchy hooks, it grabs you like a cold if you were buried under snow naked. The album throws in a bit of electronic drum loops (or beats, whatever) that I thought would hinder my pure listening enjoyment because I prefer them using their instruments, but the chorus' in those songs more than make up for it. It's definitely a step up (or down?) from the more raw sound of Put Up or Shut Up, although in saying that, production still gets the okay from me, I really don't have the ear to tell if Alex Gaskarth's voice has been heavily editted or not, but whatever.

The first track on the album, Weightless, is a perfect example of this. I played that song to death when it first came out. It skyrocketed up my iTunes top 25, taking #4 most played song. The first half of the album definitely contains the meat of the pop-punk efforts thrown into this album, but it doesn't deter from what the second half has to offer. Although I admit, the verses weren't as memorable through first listen, it was the addictive chorus' of a majority of the songs that hit me. Tracks in the second half, such as "Walls" and "Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal" are tracks I would love to blast through my stereo whilst driving. Then again, much of the same can be said for 3/4 of the songs.

If I could choose my favourite track, it would be "Keep The Change...". It was either this or "Break Your Little Heart", its just soo damn catchy pop awesomeness. Whenever the chorus comes in, I just wanna sing along to it. Only flaw I can find in this album is probably "Hello, Brooklyn" - that song is a tad cheesy. The whole naming the cities thing at the end deserves to be mentioned here - purely because they didn't mention Sydney. I'm appalled. Even the song "Too Much", if slightly experimental, is one I prefer over it. The instrumentation is different and I quite like it. The first few seconds do NOT sound like ATL.

Songs I found myself skipping upon more listens was Stella, Lost In Stereo and Hello Brooklyn. Compared to "Keep the Change" or "Damned If I Do Ya", they just don't do it for me. I don't know, I base a majority of my opinion on first impressions and those didn't really have a lasting one.

Slowing the tempo down a bit, "Sick Little Games" is also one of my favourite songs off Nothing Personal. If the lyrics are as personal as Gaskarth pens them to be, then I really like the level this song has presented itself on, the emotionally-driven chorus could almost pass off as something Simple Plan could write (if they matured their sound more). Closing the album, "Therapy" is probably the Remembering Sunday of Nothing Personal, although evidently not as good. I find it weird closing the album on a slow song, but whatever floats their boat.

I personally don't think ATL are great at making slower songs (could be best left to another band like Boys Like Girls lol), but for creating a suitable summer album, this takes the cake this summer (or winter?).

7.5/10

Now go to Tim's blog and read his review when he puts it up.
http://moviescriptlife.wordpress.com/

3 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    lol our opinions are kind of the same =)

  2. Ruth said...

    Do you have last fm? xD I'd like to see yuor plays.

  3. Adrian C. said...

    @Ruth, im yeah I do

    http://www.last.fm/user/aye-dree-en