Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Top 8 Album Covers

I'm bored so this is just something I feel like blogging about. I'm aware I don't have the usual top album cover veterans like Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon, or Nirvana's 'Nevermind' album, while they are iconic, I've chosen mine based on other aspects (described) interpreted by me. So if the meaning behind an album cover is wrong, carefactor = zero.
8. Thousand Foot Krutch - The Art of Breaking

Just as the album title says, and in the cover, the girl's reaching into an unknown reality. The Art of Breaking ? Conformity? Bad Habits? Burdens? Tension? ... Faces?

Its ambiguous and I RIKE it.







7. E for Explosion - Reinventing the Heartbeat


Up here for colour scheme and pure amazingness. Similar to my number one spot, but doesn't quite get there.









6. Eudora - The Silent Years

Melodic punk act Eudora with this. Who even knows why shes wearing a gas mask, but I like it anyway (I'm just being lazy, I tried to look it up but can't find anything).









5. Mae - Singularity

Everything that exists out there gives us a reason to question - there's so much more for us to learn and understand. I suppose that's where this band got the 'Singularity' reference from. Even if it does look like a scribble, what it means to anyone could be however they see it in relation to their own lives. Corruption? Heartbreak? Uncontrollable-ness? Rebellion? ... g0t rage?

Singularity simplicity.


4. The Fold - This Too Shall Pass

The album name is a phrase associated with some story about a ring (no, not LOTR -.-), so that's where the band got their album name from. This cover, I had trouble choosing between this, and Anberlin's 'New Surrender' cover. Both atmospheric in a sense, and Anberlin's title seems more meaningful and easier to dissect, but just the tone of colours in this captured my attention more. It has a hint of bland, but not enough to make this album seem like a bore-fest.


3. The Starting Line - Direction

I'm an instant fan of the picture alone, and having it rotated 90 degrees to coincide with the album title? Semi-genius. Awesome bright yellow arrow too, just to make it less subtle.

But seriously, I love it, its refreshing to see something (orientation) different done to an untouched picture.

Awesome album too.


2. Brand New - Deja Entendu

Never would I have guessed where this came from. Much like how Déjà Vu translates to 'already seen', Déjà Entendu means 'already heard'. And its a take on modern rock. Same stuff being juiced out eh? Whatever, if a floating baby in water can get famous, then a floating astronaut gets my vote.






1. Mae - Destination: Beautiful

Mae gets another spot in my list, this time number 1! The colours, the name of the album, the text, the music, the bird silhouettes, I love it all.

Well, OLD Mae is what I love, not this 'Singularity' trash (still, good cover). Their music is perfect for springtime, and its just where I'd wanna be sometimes aye.





Honourable Mentions:
Anberlin - New Surrender
UnderOath - Define the Great Line/Lost in the Sound of Separation

kthxbye

5 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    lol

    i agree with the top 2

    brand new ftw =)

    hahahha

    mmm

    i should blog i havnt in ages...

  2. Anonymous said...

    this is cool man... it's gonna suck if they discontinue CD printing in the digital age... I know digital album covers are available but it's not the same as having a high-gloss copy of the art to flick through and call your own.

  3. Leonard said...

    some great covers there. I'm a fan of cover 3 .. and Eudora's cover is pretty good considering how mediocre the actual album is.

  4. Anonymous said...

    yay i like mae's : D
    haha i never really got the brand new one ..
    OR the eudora one .. =\

    anywayss i still hate blogspots kind of commenting :( grrr

  5. Anonymous said...

    for some reason singularity always reminds me of the matrix, and those... tentacle things.

    or maybe i'm getting confused with monster's inc. hm.